Follow Me On Twitter

Sunday 1 January 2012

My Favourite Songs Of 2011: The Full List

40) Noah & The Whale - L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N.
I.T.'.S.D.E.A.D.C.A.T.C.H.Y.!.



39) The Rapture - How Deep Is Your Love?
Clocking in at 6 minutes and 28 seconds (the longest songs in my top 40) The Rapture show the true meaning of groove in this piano driven tune.







38) Katy B feat. Magnetic Man - Perfect Stranger
2011's queen of the dancefloor's big moment was her collaboration with dubstep group Magnetic Man. A good mix of d n' b leading into the chorus and Katy's beautiful vocals.





37) Lady Gaga - The Edge Of Glory
Probably my favourite Gaga song to date, The Edge Of Glory is a brilliant pop song. It's icing on the cake is courtesy of the late great Clarence Clemons on saxophone.





36) Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs - Garden
I've haven't heard anything that sounds like this all year. With it's out-there production and strange groove, it sounds completely alien. The vocals shared by male and female also give it another interesting twist.


35) Frank Ocean - Thinking About You
Hotly tipped for 2012, Frank Ocean's impeccably soulful voice is clearly displayed in Thinking About You.






34) Chase & Status feat. Liam Bailey - Blind Faith
"SWEET SENSATION". Big hitters Chase & Status draught in the vocals talent of Liam Bailey for massive commercial pop song. It really works too.










33) Enter Shikari - Quelle Surprise
One of the hugest sounding songs of the year. MASSIVE!



32) Wretch 32 feat. Josh Kumra - Don't Go
From one of 2011's biggest breakthrough act, Wretch 32 follows in the footsteps of successful UK rappers such as Dizzee Racal and Tinie Tempah. Credit for Don't Go (his first UK number 1 single) should be given to Josh Kumra's brilliant vocals.








31) Chapel Club - O Maybe I
I discovered this earlier this year when iTunes made it free single of the week. I love the singer's poetic vocals and the noise that the guitar makes throughout the song is spectacular.




30) Foster The People - Pumped Up Kicks
Catchy song from L.A. indie band about a real life killing spree.







29) Birdy - Skinny Love
Beautiful piano cover of Bon Iver song.






28) Funeral Party - Finale
Q Magazine: "Joy Division-esque bass, impassioned vocals, stentorian keyboards and a chorus to singalong to." I agree.








27) James Blake - A Case Of You
Although his debut album didn't live up to my expectations, this cover of a Joni Mitchell classic has Blake singing with real emotion to beautiful lyrics.






26) Laura Marling - Sophia
I haven't really listened to much of her music, but this majestic song is sensational.





25) Emeli Sande - Heaven
Jungle and Drum n' Bass meet raw passion and soul on Emeli Sande's debut single. Already winner of the Critics Choice Award at the BRITs, expect great things from her in 2012.




24) Ben Howard - The Fear
Highlight from Ben Howard's solo debut by a mile.








23) Charlie Simpson - Down Down Down
Fantastic acoustic song from ex-Busted member.








22) Kasabian - Re-Wired
"HIT ME, HARDER, I'M GETTING RE-WIRED". This Marc Bolan sounding track is up there with Kasabian's best songs.






21) Gil Scott Heron & Jamie XX - I'll Take Care Of You
Most people will probably recognise this song from the cover Rihanna & Drake did recently. However, the late great Gil Scot Heron's vocals put Rihanna firmly back in her place while Jamie XX's old school beats are a breath of fresh air in a music scene which is extremely bass heavy.


20) The Vaccines - All In White
They are my favourite band of 2011 due to making one of my favourite albums of 2011. However I love most of the songs on their debut equally so it was hard which to pick as my favourite. I've gone for 'All In White' - a stadium anthem due to its 'Ahh-Ahh-Ahh' build up to the chorus and ,unlike most of the songs on The Vaccine's album, is over 4 minutes in length which gives it time to gradually build up and then gracefully end.






19) Viva Brother - Still Here
Although not one of the most popular bands around at the moment, their huge ego was matched with this modern-day indie anthem. Catchy too.






18) Hard-Fi - Fire In The House
The third indie band in a row in this list. Hard-Fi returned in 2011 after a four year break with single 'Good For Nothing' which was a roaring comeback single. However second single 'Fire In The House' is more subtle and a fantastic pop song which many may have overlooked. Look again.








17) Alex Turner - Piledriver Waltz
From the 'Submarine EP', Piledriver Waltz sees Alex Turner at his best (lyrically). He captures the mood of 'Submarine' perfectly with Turner singing about eating breakfast 'at the Heartbreak Hotel' and that 'your waitress was miserable and so was your food'. Superb.








16) Lana Del Rey - Video Games
Lana Del Rey's debut single is a majestic ballad that really does stand out from the crowd. It is poised and has a very grand orchestral arrangement which fits to her vocal immaculately. The first time I listened to it, I was lost for words. Stunning.





15) Foo Fighters - Walk
The Foo Fighters latest album was a full on rock album which was released on a tape in Dave Grohl's garage. My favourite song off the album is the final track 'Walk'. Probably my favourite Foo Fighters song ever. I also put its hilarious music video as my favourite of 2011 in a recent blog post.





14) Maverick Sabre - I Need
With all the boring music around these days as well as the mind numbingly horrible pop trash invading the charts, what we really need is soul. Well Maverick Sabre's 'I Need' has plenty of soul. He is definitely one to watch in 2012.











13) Keaton Henson - You Don't Know How Lucky You Are
Beautiful. The noises that the guitar make are beautiful. The words are beautiful. The way Keaton delivers the vocals are beautiful. Just beautiful. Listen:






12) Lower Than Atlantis - (Motor) Way Of Life
One of my favourite new bands of 2011 and this songs has been on repeat on my iPod since I bought it earlier this year. Fantastic tune.







11) Miles Kane - Colour Of The Trap
Wonderful title track from the best dressed man in pop. The strings section makes this song seem close to perfection.




10) Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - The Death Of You And Me
A much more subtle and quiet approach than brother Liam's, The Death Of You And Me is a brilliant song reminiscent of Oasis' 'The Importance Of Being Idle'. Stomping chorus and great lyrics.




9) Beady Eye - Kill For A Dream
Even though I preferred Noel albums, its this song which makes me still love the rest of the band. For me its Liam's best vocals since.... Champagne Supernova!






8) Friendly Fires - Hawaiian Air
I'm travelling Hawaiian Air!








7) Bombay Bicycle Club - Shuffle
The piano riff at the start is good enough to make it on this list alone. The rest of the song is also amazing.






6) Coldplay - Charlie Brown
Highlight from their fifth album. Charlie Brown is the best thing they've done in 10 years.






5) The Strokes - Under Cover Of Darkness
Admittedly not a fan of The Strokes previous work, I was surprised listening to this by how good it is.






4) The Wombats - Techno Fan
This is how you use synths in pop music. The Wombats have had so many great songs over the last 12 months but this one stood out for me.














3) Arctic Monkeys - Reckless Serenade
The noise of the bass at the start; the relaxed Sunday afternoon feel to it - its sensational.










2) The Horrors - Still Life
From a band who are going from strength to strength. This song already sounds like a timeless classic.






My Favourite Song of 2011 is....


1) White Lies - Bigger Than Us
I bought this song on January 2nd 2011. The sheer power and emotion I feel when listening to the chorus is unbelievable. I loved it then and I love it even more now. I love it!


No comments:

Post a Comment